This fun and easy craft is just perfect for Earth Day! Hand cut-outs are used to represent someone holding the Earth in their hands. What a wonderful message this sends just in time for the holiday, that each of us must love and care for our planet.
- coffee filter
- newspaper or paper plate
- washable markers in blue and green (or diluted food coloring & syringe)
- construction paper
- spray bottle or tooth brush
What to do:
- Spread the coffee filter flat on a work surface covered with newspaper or on a paper plate. The filter will be the globe.
- Use green markers to draw the continents on the globe. Color the remaining areas blue for the ocean water, leaving the top and bottoms white for the North and South Poles (optional).
- Spray the filter with water or sprinkle water on with a toothbrush. The colors will "run" and mix together. Allow to dry.
- You may choose to color the earth with diluted food coloring using a syringe or dropper. If so, cover the filter completely with blue, allow to dry, then place drops of green for the land. Allow to dry.
- Trace hands on construction paper and cut out.
- Glue the hands onto a full sheet of construction paper, thumbs facing out, only gluing the palms down.
- Use glue to secure the earth into the palms of the hands.
- Fold the fingers to look like they are holding the Earth.
- Use crayons to draw stars around the planet or you can use star shaped stickers.